Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 01:20:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shame she's nearly a gonna  (Read 2068 times)

GAv

Shame she's nearly a gonna
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:18:48 PM »

Thanks Maxibuddah, extended from for sale bits.
I know little (nothing in fact)of the History of the boat.
Basically I sold my last Fireball recently and when I found out the guy had a Phantom, agreed unsighted to take it in exchange

A few days later coincidentally a guy with a Phantom turned up on a weekday at our club, (he is on his third Phantom)but agreed with my finding that the hull was shot. All the fittings, especially the small clam cleats etc were like new( despite the boat having been standing some time in the open). Those would cost so much, the trailers worth X and the rudders y, he opinioned, helped raise the mood.
Actually i wasnt at all downhearted, except for a bit of silly optimism re saving /sailing her/as was but realised that was beyond reason, especially as the previous owner had already put a foot through the floor.
Having removed all the fittings and started prodding around a few days later, I finished up with just the outer hull, cementing the truth, that apart from a full outer and inner overskin in glass fibre, it was hull wise a bit of a lost cause.

I fitted some new bearings to the roadbase, that along with the mast and rudders were in the guy's garage, and being a non reformed horder, found they were perfect for the Phantom trailer base. They didnt really need changing but whilst checking the condition, thought I might as well fit the new bearings anyway.

The Club had a bit of a burn up last Sunday during mainternance day, I put the boat under a tarp in my second boat space, (have an old merlin Rocket) on an adequate trolley, avoiding temptation to add it to the still smoking embers.

My sailing has in fact been severely curtailed in the last 3 years and I find the renovation side of things almost more interesting these days, but maybe this was/is just one project too far.

So perhaps flogging bits off to and for needy folk's boats might be the better bet.
I'll see what I get shot of and whats left and take it from there.
The Hull may yet be used as a garden feature, less sacriligious than a burnup?

Great site incidentally

Kind regards GAVin
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:51:13 PM by GAv »

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
Re: Shame she's nearly a gonna
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:23:07 PM »

Over to you JT...... :)
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

John Torrance

Re: Shame she's nearly a gonna
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »

I think Chris that, like me, it is beyond redemption.
JT
Pages: [1]   Go Up