Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 10:07:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repainting a classic  (Read 4464 times)

MartinS

Repainting a classic
« on: October 02, 2010, 04:20:25 PM »

Hi there - I've just picked up a self draining wooden Phantom (942) and I'm considering a full refurb even though it was only recently repainted.

As I'm sure some of you have undertaken similar projects I'd be interested in your throughts on the following:

1. Should I take it back to bare wood and expoxy it before repainting or just sand it down and use an undercoat?

2. Should I go with single or 2 pack paint?

3. Refitting - the new boats seem to put control line cleats on the foredeck, is this also the best place for these on wooden Phantoms? 

Any other advice welcome!

Regards
Martin

maxibuddah

Re: Repainting a classic
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:34:47 PM »

Martin,
I see that no one has responded yet, but hang around because I'm sure someone will be able to help you very soon. I wish I could but I have no experience of wooden Phantoms
Maxib
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

bert

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 08:54:09 PM »

Hi Martin

My recommanation for the hull would be to leave it if it has been just done unless the finsh is rubbish or the colour is not to your liking.

If you are going ahead with the repaint I would sand it down rather then take it down to the bare wood unless it has a lot of layers of paint in which case remove them & therefore lighten the boat.
You could epoxy the bare wood of the hull but you need a heated garage for that it work well but you could use woodsealer ( ronseal opr similar) instead which will dry in your normal ventiated garage.

Single pack paint is easier to use for the person working from home & the two pack paints will tend to give a hard & inflexible coat & need a more professional set up to get a good finsh.

Refitting the control lines tends to be more of a personal thing as to fore deck or side deck but when fitted on the side decks they tend to be right in the way in light airs so my peferance would be for fore deck fittting.
Just put some wood packers under the deck to screw the  cleats into & to give extra strenght & support in that area.

Enjoy the boat when complete & sail her flat.

bert
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:11:40 PM by bert »
If you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mike T

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:17:33 PM »

Hi Martin

Having recently repainted 949 which is also a woody I can offer the following thoughts for what they are worth.

It is entirely possible the boat was epoxied when new - mine was. In which case a light sand and repaint is all that is required. I used one undercoat and two topcoats with light sand between to get a good finish. I used single pack paint, put the paint on with a roller and layed it off with a brush. You need to work quite quickly to keep the wet edge going and don't brush it too much. To state the obvious the more coats of paint you add the more weight you add so I wouldn't do it unless necessary or to change colour.

If you are moving cleats to the foredeck be sure to reinforce the underside of the deck so it can take the loads. My boat had a doubler under the side deck to take the cleats which tied into the hull and cockpit side so I left the cleats outboard. I found the doubler when re decking the boat - otherwise it wouldn't have been obvious. If you tap test the deck any area with thicker ply will sound duller than surrounding areas.

Hope this helps.

Mike

MartinS

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 07:38:33 AM »

Thank you for the advice - much appreciated.

Due to work commitments I've decided to hand the boat over to Steve Parker (http://www.sp-boats.co.uk/) for a full refurb and fit out.

Having used Steve before I can recomend his services both on quality and price.

Let me know if anyone would be interested in some pics when she's finished?

Regards
Martin

jamesd20

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:15:29 PM »

Why just after pics?

Why not Before & after....please ;D

Phil_1193

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 10:29:12 AM »

Blimey, i thought you were only buying it as cheap 'stop gap'!!!

It is epoxy coated ply with two pack paint under the current single pack paint, 80 grit sandpaper in a 4" belt sander didn't kill it so it will take alot of work to get it back to bare ply!

Good luck! :)

MartinS

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »

Hi Phil - you know what it's like. You start off by saying "I'll just replace the mainsheet system" then a couple of blocks and some neon dyneema catch your eye in the boats bits box and before you know it.......

Regards
Martin

Trig

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 10:02:44 PM »

I've read the paint coverage details on the tins, but in the real world what coverage should I expect from 750ml of Toplac over a good surface, in other words how much would I need to give the outside 2 coats?
While I'm here has anyone used this Schooner varnish and does it can out to dark?

Trev

bert

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 11:57:06 AM »

Hi

I used Dura-gloss on my decks & a 750 Ml tin covered the deck areas twice with about 20% left but that was on bear wood thinned out by 20%.
I will redo the decks a further 2 times with un thinned varnish & that should finsh off the second tin as well.
If you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mike T

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »

Hi I reckoned you might just get two coats of the hull out of a 750ml can of Toplac but it is tight and you may end up thin in places although my boat is black so colour depth is important with the dark colour. I got and went into the second tin doing my top coat.

Schooner varnish - I reckon it is c***! I threw half a tin away and went back to the traditional goldspar although I was trying to varnish last spring in the really cold weather. Maybe it is me or the weather but I couldn't get a decent finish with it and it is bloomin expensive compared to the original stuff. The colour didn't seem bad but for reasons above I didn't finish with it.

Mike

Nessa

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 09:30:39 AM »

I used schooner varnish for the wooden mast for the Drascombe Longboat we use at Sailability and it was absolutely fine.

I am about to do up K88 - again - and will be using a one pack for the hull, with a primer/undercoat combo underneath, then International Brightside for the side tanks, then a international non slip for the floor.  I haven't yet decided about the top decks; either G4, so I never have to do them again, or a two pack varnish, since I have some left from doing a carbon mast.

If you need an exotic shade or colour of paint, the best place to go is Shepherd Marine:

http://www.shepherdmarine.com/

MartinS

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 06:17:53 PM »

Hi there - the refurb on my boats now finished and as requested here's some pics:

The work was undertaken by Steve Parker boats who I can't fault and if your intereted, you can contact Steve at

www.sp-boats.co.uk/
Mobile: 07884 363 109

Regards
Martin

maxibuddah

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 08:34:39 PM »

got to say it looks good, almost like a plastic boat..... ;D
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

Phil_1193

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 09:46:15 AM »

Blimey!!

Looking very nice, good to see my old boat in a new 'coat'  :D

Seems a shame to get it wet!!   :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up