Phantom Class Forum

• May 18, 2024, 05:29:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a new wood boat  (Read 2118 times)

Rob

Building a new wood boat
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:38:29 PM »

First, hello from the USA, where we are in a Phantom deficit at the moment. I am going to try and correct the situation, and build a new boat at home using good old fashioned plywood, epoxy and more than a few beers. Does anyone have any recommendations on plywood thickness, wood species for the framing, thwarts, etc.? Different thickness on the deck? Wood rudders and centerboard. Any tidbits of advice are welcome.

Rob

silverwood

Re: Building a new wood boat
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 11:44:11 PM »

Hi there... and good luck with the project! Ply thickness is specified in class rules and also in the build plans. Plans relatively simple to follow assuming some wood working expertise, but build v. time consuming and details make all the difference
If adding a s/d floor I think there are also some plans or guidelines for these too. Good luck with the build.... and hope you enjoy the beers in true Phantom sailor style too!
Graham

Rob

Re: Building a new wood boat
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 09:27:17 PM »

Thanks silverwood. I've been told that I have two options for the deck, and I'm assuming self drain is one of them. I'll probably go the SD route. I do have some limited woodworking experience, but with furniture, not boats. Sailed a lot of them, never built one, but I've wanted to for a long time. If beer drinking is a Phantom Class requirement, I should fit in OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up