Phantom Class Forum

• May 18, 2024, 11:45:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I go about selling my old Classic Phantom?  (Read 3214 times)

low-bouyancy-man

How do I go about selling my old Classic Phantom?
« on: June 16, 2007, 12:13:50 AM »

??? :-\ :'( :) :D

To all those thinking of selling their old Classic Phantoms !

I was asked recently what was the best way to sell the old boats.

Advertising the boat in some national magazine will get it seen, but it is unlikely to make a sale easily. Most magazines are read by the young-uns (may be wrong about that!) and they don't want an 'older farts' boat particularly.

Some have put them up for sale on Ebay. No idea what success that gained, but they seemed to sell. It would be interesting to hear from someone that has experience of that route.

If you want to sell a Classic Phantom, even if it is not in particularly good fettle, advertise it here, on the web-site. Some guys are looking to get these boats and see what all the ballyhoo is about! They first see some older sailor make a Phantom go and put the 'young-uns' to shame with comparitive ease. These Phantoms seem to come out of nowhere and whip the local boats in the Club racing. Why not try it yourself? Some even want to take part in the 'Classic' events that are being encouraged at the moment.

Just remember when offering the boat, there are several guys who have plastic Phantoms and also would like to have a 'Classic' as well. You might well sell it to a guy who is already a keen Phantom sailor.

Don't just advertise it at your local Club, advertise it here as well as other known places!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 10:16:54 AM by low-bouyancy-man »

low-bouyancy-man

Re: How do I go about selling my old Classic Phantom?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 06:40:43 PM »

To all reading this section, have been contacted by the owner of boat no. 82. He will be putting the details on the site here soon, so if you are looking for a boat that has been kept indoors for the last 17 years and only raced a few times before that, then when this becomes available, it will be in good condition and probably worth every penny asked for it.

Keep an eye open for this one!

Mike.

artHarris

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 11:59:34 AM »

I am the above mentioned owner of Phantom 82. Built from brown paper plans sent by Paul Wright in 1974, it has never raced in a Class race, never "measured"; we moved to California after buying the plans and built it there, where of course there were no other Phantoms. We 'raced' in a Laser fleet, but  they didn't do handicapped races and they kicked us out as we nearly always won.

Since leaving the U.S, in 1988, it has rarely sailed and never raced; for the last 17 years it has had few outings, spending the most of the time hanging in my car-port, collecting dust. Under the dust is a mid-blue hull with varnished side decks and inside.

There are two sails, one the original and very slack, and a 'new' one which doesn't conform to class rules because it is 3-coloured; I seem to recall it was made by Rockall but can't check because it is with my son. There are two mast and boom sets, one the original, with spreaders, the other newer (1985) without: I can't remember the makes.

There is also a towing trailer, which requires new bearings before it can be used,( but that is an easy job - I've done it twice before!). There is also a launching trolley, which needs new wheels (the original ones rusted away).

Any interest? We are in the southern Welsh Borders.

artHarris
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 12:10:25 PM by artHarris »

low-bouyancy-man

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 02:12:10 PM »

Hi Art,

Glad you got your password etc.  Enjoyed talking with you the other evening. Suggest you compile the boat details and add it to the "Classified" section and even add a photo (under 100kb) of it from its hay-day, if you have one. The web site will hold it for 30 days and then it is automatically dumped. Suggest you keep a copy of the advert as you can add it again if it takes longer than this to sell.

Hope you keep in touch with the Class and remember, we have had older chaps than you sailing in the Nationals!

Regards,

Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up