Phantom Class Forum

• May 19, 2024, 03:02:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice Requied  (Read 2949 times)

pw1980

Advice Requied
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:33:33 PM »

Having recently bought my first Phantom, number 585 and now sailed it a couple of times there appers to be some repairs/modifications  required.

On capsizing it recently I found that when i brought it off the water there was a reasonable amount of water within the side tanks.  I think that there may have been water within them before i capsized as it was listing quite a bit when i launched it as i didnt check them after the previous time out.  I Was wondering whats the best way to check for leaks and whether it would be best to try and repair the leaks or perhaps install some buyonacy bags within the side tanks. 

Comparing photographs of my boat to the pictures of the conventional hull on this site i have noticed that my hull does not have any transom flaps fitted. When i capsized it took an age to clear the water through the self bailers and bucket the previous owner supplied with the boat. Could I retro fit some transom flaps to my boat, if so could someone give me some guideance as to the size, location and any other useful hints.

Many thanks

Paul 

marcus3292

Re: Advice Requied
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 04:27:46 PM »

my phantom when capsized used to leak through the inspection hatches (i.e) seals, replace them,

i dare say you could fit transom flaps to your boat, but i would ask a boat builder for best advice
phantom 1116

low-bouyancy-man

Re: Advice Requied
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 10:05:40 AM »

Hi Paul,

With ANY wooden boat, when ashore and left in the boat park, open the hatch covers and the tank drain points, get out the water and allow the boat to "breathe". Wood takes up water. Give it a chance to dry out. Leaving damp to fester in a boat guarantees rot.

Fitting transom flaps is easy. Get some flexible plastic (talk to your local chandler), do NOT use perspex as this will shatter in next to no time. Drill a couple of 4mm holes in the top edge of the piece of plastic which covers the transom draining hole with an overlap of 8 - 10 mm all round. Screw the flap to the transom with a couple of 3 mm st. st. self tappers, but do not tighten them down onto the plactic. Leave the head about 5 mm proud. If the flap opens to let water out, it can move on the screw thread and will work well. To hold it in place, use a piece of shock cord (about 3mm thick). This is attached through a small hole in the centre of the flap (knotted on the outside) and goes to the other flap similarly. Put a small hook (speak to your chandler) on the boat floor/hogg and loop the shock cord over it. This will hold the flaps closed. The shock cord should be 'JUST' holding the flaps closed. Too much tension and the flaps will distort. In a bad capsize, reach back and unhook the shock cord. Refasten it when the boat has drained sufficiently. Also, if small bailers fitted, use MAXI bailers.

Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up