Phantom Class Forum

• May 18, 2024, 02:49:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018 series ideas  (Read 5996 times)

The Belgian

2018 series ideas
« on: October 07, 2017, 12:38:39 PM »

This seasons travellers series is coming to an end and I would like any ideas changes ect that might be wanted ?
And clubs that are wanting to put an open next year ? Does Salcombe still want one ?
How many in a series and to count ?
Also I am happy to carry on in the job but also happy to let someone else takeover before you sack me !!

Ivan 1300 

gordon Kingston

Re: 2018 series ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 12:28:55 PM »

Hi Ivan
Please carry on you have done a great job.
Regards
Gordon

Cabbage

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:59:47 AM »

Hi Ivan,

A sterling job AGAIN this year. I thought the number of events was spot on, and the spacing was ideal.

I've noticed that the Chew single hander open looks to be getting a lot of Phantom support this year (Sat 21st) with their visitors day / Top Club event on the Sunday (22nd !!) If it is that popular is it worth putting it on the calendar?

And personally, I'd replace the Frensham open with Salcombe. I'm a firm believer in reciprocal support - Salcombe have been out and supported some of our events, and they have just added another boat to their fleet, so if they want an open we should support theirs.

Also be nice if everyone could sail a bit slower please.
Rich

The Belgian

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »

Hi Rich,
Thanks for comments, I am desperate to get Salcombe on and need to speak to someone there to organise if they want an event ?
Hope to see you at Bowmoor...
Ivan1300

Pete B

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 02:05:38 PM »

Paul Ellis from Salcombe has bought Roger Batterby's boat. He joins Alistair Morley and a couple of other Phantom owners there. I met Paul and Alistair last week when they picked up 1413. Both seemed up for an open there next year. Their expectation is for the Phantom fleet to continue to grow.

Jim 1400

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 03:16:34 PM »

Ivan
I would love to do an event at Salcombe. I cannot now count the number of Merlin weeks I have done and every one was equal challenge and fun. Full weekend would be great.
Jim

JeremyH

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 04:44:15 AM »

Hi Ivan,

what can I say other than you are doing a great job in reviving the Southern traveller series and humble apologies that the Frensham boats have not been travelling due to various conflicting demands / issues.  My hope is that things will look up and that you will see us on the circuit again soon as we do have a good history of supporting the series.   
Regarding Frensham .... we are very happy to host an open for the Phantom class and have enjoyed the last few years of meeting for the 'pie platter'.  If however, consensus is that you do not want us to have an open meeting, then please let us know sooner rather than later as we are finalising our calendar for next year and if the phantom class do not wish to come in 2018 then it would be good for us to offer that slot to another class.
Jeremy

gordon Kingston

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 02:46:17 PM »

Hi Jeremy
If Frensham want to have an open, sorry but I don't think it should be part of the southern series. Frankly some of the attitudes expressed at your event this year when banter was flying asking why any of us bother to travel did make me think we would not see any Frensham boats at other events again. Despite having some single day events, on the sea and inland with less than an hours travel(Lee, Burghfield,) and Shoreham could hardly be closer.
Regards
Gordon

The Belgian

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »

Hi Jeremy
As part of a traveller's series I don't think Frensham will work next year due to the lack of travelling Frensham sailors, even for the local Nationals. Its a shame as its the closest venue to me and always very enjoyable. If someone from Frensham came to Bowmoor or Burghfield that would help.
Really not enjoying writing this post.
You can always put a Phantom open on even if its not in a series and if there's a gap in April when I have finalised next year maybe we could add it in then...
Ivan 1300

JeremyH

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »

Thanks Ivan,

There are very good reasons why Frensham sailors have not been travelling this year, Mainly related to medical issues from all 3 of our phantom sailors but I hear where you are coming from.  I have repeatedly (for over 10 years on this forum!) pointed out that Nationals in the first week of September do not work for us! but no-one has so far listened to that.   
Frensham do not put on an open meeting for the purpose of trying to make money .... it is purely to support the class in the region.  If, as it appears, there is no interest in coming to Frensham and as it appears we seem to have somehow offended many people (I would love to know some details in order that I can try and address this point), We will not be bothering to support the class with the running of an open meeting in 2018.  There is no point in running an open that is not part of the series and that apparently no one wants to come to.   There are plenty of other classes who would welcome an additional open meeting so I feel we should give our slot to them - (We do have a limited number of open meeting slots per our lease).  I also regret that once we have lost the open meeting slot it will be very hard to re-instate in the future. 

Kind regards,

Jeremy

Phil_1193

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 06:35:29 AM »

I have repeatedly (for over 10 years on this forum!) pointed out that Nationals in the first week of September do not work for us! but no-one has so far listened to that.   

So Frensham had a full turn out at Stone in 2010 then?

Are you suggesting we, as an association (who currently have planned the nationals from now until 2021), have to work round 3 or 4 boats just so you 'might' turn up?
Too many excuses across the board about too far, wrong time, don't like the club - it'll never be perfect for everyone, its the Nationals make the effort

To put the record straight, its actually generally the 2nd weekend in September and was this year, it was also a specific item talked about at the AGM this year, if we should change the date of the Nationals to 'another time in the year' - the response from the room was no.

If you want to discuss a change, then put in a proposal and turn up at the AGM and make your case. Its hard enough finding a club that can and will run a Phantom Nationals, let alone trying to squeeze it in during the very busy (and expensive) July/ August

Next years Nationals is Felixstowe Ferry SC on the 7-9th September, incase you were wondering

JeremyH

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 04:20:18 PM »

Are you suggesting we, as an association (who currently have planned the nationals from now until 2021), have to work round 3 or 4 boats just so you 'might' turn up?

No!!  far from it!  I was responding to the criticism about not attending the 'local' nationals at Highcliffe. 

I really do not respond well to the aggressive tone of posts that I receive on this forum from class representatives.  I respond far better to encouragement than threats and bullying.  We will travel when fit enough and when we feel inclined to.

Frensham will not be supporting the class by holding a Phantom Open next year.

stevepopple

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »

heard good things about Creeksea so how about a joint Southern/Eastern Travellers event there in 2018 ?

gordon Kingston

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »

Lee on Solent next year.
Do you want to keep the same format? Training on Saturday and then single day open meeting or would you prefer a 2 day event if I can arrange it?
What times of year are going to be available Ivan?
Regards
Gordon

stevepopple

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »

Hi Gordon

I liked L o S & would like 2 days of racing there please - with camping nearby if possible ?

Steve

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up