Phantom Class Forum

• May 18, 2024, 06:20:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's coming to Downs  (Read 6112 times)

Chris Shelton

Who's coming to Downs
« on: July 15, 2017, 06:26:32 PM »

The next event on the Southern Travelers circuit is Downs SC at Deal, Kent on 5th & 6th August. We offer a very friendly welcome and some excellent open water racing - great practice before the Nationals in September.
The first start on Saturday is scheduled for 1300hrs with 2 races back-to-back. On Sunday it is first start at 1000hrs with 3 races back-to-back.

Bacon butties etc. will be available on Saturday morning, and a full meal on Saturday evening is included in the entry fee.  Plenty of beer, plus live music should make Saturday evening a night to remember. Breakfast will be available again on Sunday morning, plus more food after sailing.

Further information is available at www.downssailingclub.co.uk including a link that enables you to pre-enter (with no commitment). The NOR and Sailing Instructions are available via the "Open Meetings" button on the left hand side.

Camper vans are welcome to park on the road by the club, but unfortunately there is no camping at the club (unless you fancy lying on a shingle beach between the boats). However if you really want to camp there is plenty of room in my back garden which is slightly less than a mile from the club. There are also plenty of B&B's in Deal if you want to go upmarket.

This will be the third Phantom Open Meeting that Downs have hosted and each one has been better and better. Everyone really enjoyed it last year and have promised to return, so we should have a good entry this year.  Deal is just north of Dover on the East Kent coast, and I will post detailed directions to the club in a week or so, but if you have any questions in the meantime post them on the Forum and I will do my best to answer them.

I look forward to seeing you all at Downs on the 5th August.

Chris   1211

The Belgian

Re: Who's coming to Downs
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:30:09 PM »

Hi Chris,
I'll be there with my dancing shoes for a wild night, thanks for organising a band should be good fun. How many Phantoms pre registered ?
Some of the elite Midland sailors could be heading Down's' I heard !!
Also top end sailors from the South West hopefully for Nationals practice.
We are due some Champagne sailing for a southern open lets hope its on its way to the Garden England...

Ivan 1300

gordon Kingston

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 08:45:05 AM »

The Toe straps optional Southern Series.
Formerly the Launch the Paunch Tour
Yes I will be there, to save weight I am thinking of removing all toe straps, and anything that stops me sitting on the foredeck down the run as the OK's were doing on the run at Weymouth. it looked quite comfy.
We are going Friday so Wendy can visit some garden on the way and will drop the boat off early evening.
Looking forward to watching Ivan dance, I assume Mandy will then run screaming from the venue as old snake hips does his stuff.

stevepopple

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »

count me in Chris - I've thoroughly enjoyed the Downs exp over the years - Oulton Ben, Captn Slow, Titch & Will G may grace us with their presence too

The Belgian

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 02:25:27 PM »

Gordon, I'll be doing my dancing when I see the results !!
Please Please let's have some wind, we are owed...

Ivan 1300

Chris Shelton

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 07:02:24 PM »

7 boats have pre-entered to date, all from the Southern region. However there is still plenty of time for the Midlands and Eastern groups to join us.
Glad to hear that Ivan is packing his dancing shoes. Don't forget the toe straps as we have ordered a F4-5 with sunshine for the weekend.
Arrival on Friday afternoon is no problem. If you have been to Downs before you will know how to access the club by driving onto the grass by the Lifeboat station. (Look up "Walmer Lifeboat Station" on Google maps if you have not been before). The local council have now erected a barrier, but there is a key safe on the wall on the first column of the lifeboat station. The code is 4475. Please do not forget to replace the barrier when you leave. There should be someone at the club to let you through the gate, but if not just leave the boat on the grass and I will put it onto the boat park when I get to the club after I finish work.

Chris   1211

jamesd20

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 10:53:47 PM »

7 boats have pre-entered to date, all from the Southern region. However there is still plenty of time for the Midlands and Eastern groups to join us.

Chris   1211

Northerners not invited then?😒

Clive

• Administrator
    • Online Chandlery and Boat Bits
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 07:36:33 AM »

I will be there
Carbon Clive

Chris Shelton

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 09:23:01 PM »

It's good to hear from those planning to attend, and Northerners are very welcome to come as well.
The forecasts are currently promising us some good winds, so it will be great practice for the Nationals.
I hope to see as many of you as possible on Saturday.

Chris   1211

Olly

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 10:01:55 PM »

I'm afraid I can't make it unfortunately Chris.

My boats having some work done so I'm out of action for a few weeks.
Olly Hopkins

jamesd20

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 11:29:11 PM »

see you Saturday then. Knowing me shortly before the second race starts.

Captain Slow

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 08:36:27 PM »

Hi Chris

Trying to make it, how's launching with fixed rudder?

Kind Regards

Nick

The Belgian

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 08:53:07 PM »

Hi Nick,
I managed no problem especially as there were helpers on the beach. If I get in before you I'll catch you !!
Ivan 1300

jamesd20

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 10:12:21 PM »

Hi Chris

Trying to make it, how's launching with fixed rudder?

Kind Regards

Nick

Someone told me it was terrible, I wouldn't go😎😎😜😜

The Belgian

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 09:06:22 AM »

Easy launching, F3-F4 into great sailing waters and a live band after dinner, a fews beers, whats not to like !!
At last we look like getting some good racing in the southern region after 4  drifters a two howlers...

Sleep well tonight rivals (you know who you are) this weekend has continental feel about about it, bonjour

Ivan 1300

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up