Phantom Class Forum

• May 25, 2024, 03:29:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Downs SC Open Meeting  (Read 3798 times)

Chris Shelton

Downs SC Open Meeting
« on: July 20, 2016, 09:03:04 PM »

The next event in the Southern Series is the Downs SC Open meeting on 30th & 31st July. Downs SC is located at Deal, Kent (near Dover) and offers some great open sea sailing.
Five races are scheduled over the weekend with 2 on Saturday afternoon (first start at 1300hrs) and a further 3 on Sunday morning. Food will be available on Saturday lunchtime and evening and after sailing on Sunday afternoon.
There is plenty of parking for camper vans on the road near the club, and sleeping in the clubhouse will be available for those who want to rough it. (You can put a tent in the club grounds, but it is on shingle and is not very private as it is next to the promenade).
You can save £5 by pre-entering at http://goo.gl/forms/PJIX3EU9Ma with no commitment to pay in advance (this is purely to help with administration).
Further information is available on the Downs SC website at www.downssailingclub.co.uk or by asking me a question on the Forum.
I look forward to seeing you on the 30th.

Chris Shelton
Phantom 1211

gordon Kingston

Re: Downs SC Open Meeting
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 08:34:07 AM »

Hi Chris
Will there be anybody around Friday afternoon / evening?
I want to drop the boat off.
Regards
Gordon

stevepopple

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 02:04:24 PM »

Chris, I look forward to doing battle with you again at Downs !

I went a couple of years ago and Downs is a fantastic venue with a really nice set of helpful folk too

Steve

ps does anybody know where to find 2016 GP series venues & results ??
pps is there a Nationals entry list up anywhere ??

Chris Shelton

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:58:41 AM »

Hi Gordon (and other visitors)
The club will definitely be open from 6.00pm on Friday evening as Friday "club night" sailing will be taking place. This is general sailing (not racing) but visitors are welcome to go afloat if they wish. I will be around at some point on the Friday evening, but not sure what time yet.
However it is very likely that other members will be at the club on Friday afternoon, so it is no problem if you want to arrive earlier. Access to the club is via Walmer RNLI station and then drive slowly across the grass/promenade to the clubhouse (see Google maps/earth). You can park on the grass to rig the boat etc. until somebody arrives with a key to unlock the gate.
There are currently roadworks on the A20 through Dover. These, together with all of the port traffic means that it can be very busy trying to get through Dover. I would suggest that anyone coming along the southern section of the M25 should take the M26/M20 and exit at junction 7, take the A249 north and approach Dover via the M2/A2 before taking the A258 to Deal.
Regards
Chris

The Belgian

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 11:32:48 AM »

Thanks Chris,
Very useful info. Forcast looks perfect, how many phantoms have you got pre entered ?

Ivan 1300

Slim Jim

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 09:34:35 AM »

Will be there. Just paid my subs so may not have an up to date sticker on the boat. Hope not a problem. Sleeping in the club house sounds like luxury compared to my camping experiences.
Rich

Chris Shelton

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 08:41:23 PM »

Hi Ivan
Currently we have 9 Phantoms registered (and 10 Contenders). I agree that the forecast looks good. See you on Saturday.
Chris

The Belgian

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 07:31:26 PM »

Boat packed up and ready to roll tomorrow. Will get there early to suss out the opposition !!!
See you in the morning...

Ivan 1300

Slim Jim

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 10:28:15 PM »

A bit late notice but i wondered if anyone is going who can measure a sail. I will not be using it so no rush to get it done.

Rich

The Belgian

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 10:57:45 PM »

Hi Jim,
I can measure sails though have never done one and Gordon can and has so between us we should manage it for you...

See you tomorrow

Ivan 1300

Slim Jim

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 06:00:42 PM »

Thanks to Downs SC for a great open in some testing wind conditions for the RO. The warm hospitality from Chris and the club on Saturday night was much welcomed.

Thanks

Rich

The Belgian

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 07:55:47 PM »

Thanks Chris and all the helpers on and off the water at Downs. Great  sailing and social Saturday night. Top club and will be back. Love the sledges too !! Well done on the win Chris

Ivan 1300

gordon Kingston

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 09:10:30 AM »

Hi Chris
Can you pass on my thanks to the team both on and off the water.
Great fun weekend.
Sorry to Simon Hawkes for the phone calls!
Gordon

Chris Shelton

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 08:38:06 PM »

Thank you to all of the visitors that came to Downs this last weekend, and also for the nice comments on the forum.
The wind was very testing at times, but I'm glad that you enjoyed yourselves and experienced some of the unique features at Downs.
The racing was very close, and it certainly beats the normal handicap system.
Chris  1211

stevepopple

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 03:23:36 PM »

Chris & Downs SC

thanks for a really smashing weekend

Steve
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up