Phantom Class Forum

• May 21, 2024, 08:12:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Helm weight  (Read 3177 times)

Solid Air

Helm weight
« on: October 15, 2018, 10:04:40 PM »

I was wondering about helm weight. I noticed the top ten at the Nationals ranged from 81kg to 120kg, which is quite a range!

What do we reckon the ideal, minimum competitive and maximum competitive helm weights are these days, bearing in mind we have a range of masts and sails? Let's say, for the sea and inland (assuming inland will be a bit less)?

The Belgian

Re: Helm weight
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 12:13:05 AM »

Your post just shows what a great boat the Phantom is in that there is such a wide range of weight it will carry. I think it's more to do technique as your statistics prove. Maybe someone better at writing than me could send a  post in to Y&Y and get a few more in Phantoms that have been misled into thinking it only for heavy weights...
Ivan the feather weight

Phil_1193

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 07:33:33 AM »

As Ivan said, you've answered your own question, you can be competitive from 14 -20 stone (in old money)

The rig evolution has, in my opinion, made this possible, and changed the demographic from purely a fat boys boat to a more allround boat. Which is a good thing.

In short I don't think there is an ideal weight and don't feel we need to advertise such a restriction, which might put people off as they think they might be too light or too heavy.

Good general fitness, technique and sailing ability will always win, regardless of actual body mass

The Belgian

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 09:20:25 AM »

I'm 13 stone and think I was sailing at my best when I was a very fit 12 stone. As anyone will tell you I'll go out in a blow no problem and great fun. And in a drifter have the possibility of a win  so enjoy the boat in absolutely all conditions...
Ivan

gordon Kingston

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:29:17 AM »

I actually think its a positive that its seen as a big boys toy as there are so many boats for that used to be for bigger people and with modern rigs now only lighter weights race competitively.
Frankly anybody under 100kg should have to wear weight jackets to bring them up to class spec.

maxibuddah

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 08:20:20 PM »

I actually think its a positive that its seen as a big boys toy as there are so many boats for that used to be for bigger people and with modern rigs now only lighter weights race competitively.
Frankly anybody under 100kg should have to wear weight jackets to bring them up to class spec.

round their stomachs of course
Everything I say is my own opinion, honest.

Solid Air

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 12:06:21 AM »

From the Nationals data over the last two years, most leading helms are between 90kg and 114kg - still a wide range. Suggests a sweet spot around 100kg, give or take, on the sea.

What do you think about inland though? Take 10kg off that?

Neil 758

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 01:32:34 PM »

Might be worth noting that it has been barking windy with a heavy swell or chop at both the 2017 and 2018 Nationals.

Ocean Strider

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.creeksea.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 08:13:00 PM »

I think that the Phantom carries weight incredibly well and Neil has hit the nail on the head when he mentions the prevailing weather at the last few championships. 

Studying the top ten boats helms weights may not therefore be representative of the class as a whole.

Having sailed the boat for many years I know that carbon rigs and smaller centreboards have made the boat more manageable.  The ability to get a sail to suit your weight and technique is a great feature too.  I remember the revelation of the flat cut Evolution/Red Eye sail which meant I could race the boat in a force three and above.  I know I was not alone in feeling this was a step change.

If we return to the "it's a fat mans class" I think we would be doing ourselves a disservice.  Lighter helms can do well both inland and on the sea but it takes technique, equipment and sheer perseverance to do it.

In summary, I'm about 83kg and Bob Portway is under that but we still managed some pretty hairy conditions (are usual) at Burnham Week this year - and loved it.

I'm still waiting for a Nationals like 2009 again....
Chris Roberts
1395 "Gromit"

Solid Air

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 11:58:10 PM »

Yes - I'm 87Kg and coming down, hoping to land at about 83Kg. I sail with a CST and flat North sail, which make a real difference in the blowy stuff. I accept that I'll probably be a little light upwind in a blow, but might be able to make it up downwind and in the lighter stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up