Phantom Class Forum

• May 21, 2024, 04:00:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ovington compared with Vandercraft  (Read 1927 times)

CLUSOE

Ovington compared with Vandercraft
« on: May 16, 2018, 01:43:48 PM »

Hi,
Sorry if this is a silly question, but  I'm looking for a phantom and want to know the differences between a Ovington and a Vandercraft or are they basically the same ?. I sailed a wooden phantom many years ago when I was too light and found it hard work, but I think I've just about grown into the class !. I dont think they sail them at my club, so I will basically racing off handicap plus a few meetings. Is there a sail number above which things have changed that I should look for? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

gordon Kingston

Re: Ovington compared with Vandercraft
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 02:47:29 PM »

Hi Clusoe
The epoxy Vandercraft start at 1100 and the Ovington boats start at 1270 there may be the odd boat before 1100 but its a good rule of thumb. Since Ovington took over the mold I believe they have made very minor deck changes but the hull is still untouched from the Vandercraft days.
The mast and sail combination are worth keeping an eye on depending upon your weight and budget.
Hope that helps.
Where are you based?
Regards
Gordon
Both the classifieds here and Apollo duck seem to be the popular sales sites.

CLUSOE

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 03:09:58 PM »

Hi Gordon,
I'm around 16 st, maybe more after a BBQ !. I'm based in south wales, so pretty much the wilderness for phantom sailors. I do work only about 4 miles from Draycote so was thinking of bring the boat up with me and maybe getting some mid week sailing in there. I see lots of different sail makers and mast combinations, do the class do a list of what the top helms are using as a guide? My budget is pretty flexible, I've always had a boat at some time or another and now find myself boat less so missing getting back on the water. Its got to have a combi, plus be as competitive as poss. Looking at AD regularly, just need a bit of info to make the correct choice.

gordon Kingston

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »

Hi Clusoe
For a long time P&b were considered the classes standard sail and they do have patterns for all types of mast Harry Briddon was second last year using them. North produce on recent nationals form have some very quick sails having input from Andy Couch and Charlie Cumbly when he comes to join the fleet.
HD sails are also quick and Jim Hunt knows the boat well.
Various other sail makers are also in the fleet. I use Ian Morgan, Simon Hawkes EXE Sails also Hydes, Banks etc
Masts, the current most popular and flexible is the CST supplied by Ovington then you have Selden S2 Paragon and Superspars.
stiffest Is the Selden S3. Super spar have a new flexible mast which Will Gulliver and older boats may have 55 or 60mm diameter both less flexible.
Hope that helps I am sure others will give you better information soon.
Regards
Gordon

CLUSOE

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 10:16:08 AM »

Thanks Gordon for your advise , I'm now scouring the ads but not a lot of choice, maybe after the nationals boats become available, but generally I'm looking for a 1100+ boat with carbon mast and good enough to get me out on the water straight away.  It doesn't have to be a top of fleet boat as I realise I have a lot to learn here. If any one is thinking of selling, give me a shout, thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up