Phantom Class Forum

• May 17, 2024, 05:51:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for a new Phantom Owner  (Read 1633 times)

1096 - Erik

Advice for a new Phantom Owner
« on: May 13, 2018, 06:06:36 PM »

Hello All,
I've just bought a lovely Phantom (1096) to sail at Thorney Island, and had a few questions I was wondering if you could help with regarding basic setup?  There aren't any other Phantom owners at the club...
1 - Outhaul - do people just rely on the knots in the cleat at the end of the boom, or should I invest in some kind of shackle/hook system?
2 - Cunningham - again, do I just tie it off each time or is it worth getting a toggle/hook to make it easier
3 - Tack - is there a preferred method to tie it around the mast?
4 - What order do most people put the sail on - the previous owner showed me to attach the outhaul (aiming for the pulley system to be 2/3 up to the boom), then the tack, then the cunningham (again aiming the pulley to be 2/3 up to the boom) before up-hauling

Sorry for the basic questions - keen to get it right from the off!

Thanks, Dan
1096 - Erik

The Belgian

Re: Advice for a new Phantom Owner
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:48:30 PM »

Hi Dan,
Good boat, I had it before current boat, you will love it.
I'm not expert but knots fine, I tie off cunningham each time. I always have trouble with tack, there is a bit on this site with photos of an arrangement but I couldn't get it right. When ever I bring it up with a better sailor they always say tie off  around  mast and don't worry.
Your best bet is to get along to Lee on Solent open meeting next month where there will be plenty of us to give advise and help with boat set up.
Don't worry about the high standard of sailors and being left behind, me and Gordon will be there !!
Ivan 1300

1096 - Erik

Re: Advice for a new Phantom Owner
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 09:31:07 PM »

Thanks Ivan

Not sure I’m up to an open meeting yet but might come along and say hi.  Lots to think about with set up but seems a bit daunting, especially without a gauge to measure shroud tension!  Also can’t quite get my head around adjusting the rake of the mast but hopefully will all become clear!

So you had 1096 before Andy?  He didn’t think that she had a name - is that right? 

Thanks again

Dan
1096 - Erik
Pages: [1]   Go Up